Greek Fish in a Packet
- 2 sheets aluminum foil, 12 x 24 inches
- 2 5- or 6-ounce firm fish fillets, or one 10-ounce fish fillet, cut in half
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 8 thin slices of red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (1 teaspoon dried)
- dash of salt and ground black pepper
Fold each sheet of foil over to make a double-thick square. Brush a
little oil on the ceter of each square. Rinse the fish and prepare all
of the ingredients.
Layer half of the sliced fennel, tomatoes, and onions on each square.
Top each with half of the fish. In a cup, combine the olive oil, lemon
or lime juice, and dill and pour it over the fish. Sprinkle on salt
and pepper. Fold the foil into an airtight packet. Bake for 20
minutes. Place the foil packets on a plate and, being careful to avoid
the steam that will be released, open the foil and check that the fish
With a spatula, transfer the fish and vegetables to individual serving
dishes, and pour the liquid remaining in the foil over each serving.
Serve with rice, couscous, or orzo and top it with some grated or
crumbled feta cheese.
from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home