Cream of Broccoli (or any Vegetable) Soup
- 1 pound broccoli (or cauliflower, carrots, turnips, celery, or other vegetable), trimmed and cut to yield 4 cups
- 1/2 cup rice or 1 medium potato peeled and cut into quarters
- 4 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, or water
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 to 1 cup heavy or light cream, half-and-half, or yogurt
- minced fresh parsley leaves or chives for garnish
Combine broccoli, rice or potato, and stock or water into large saucepan and turn heat to medium-high. Bring to boil, lower heat to medium and cook until vegetables are tender, appox. 15 minutes.
Cool slightly, then puree in a food mill or blender. (You may prepare the soup in advance up to this point. Cover, refrigerate for up to 2 days, and reheat before proceeding.)
Return to pot and reheat over medium-low. Season with salt and pepper, then add cream or yogurt; heat throughly, garnish, and serve.
From How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman