Winter squash recipe via our farmer, Eve.
From: Grassroots, the NY Farm Bureau Newsletter
This is happy with pie on the side
by Jennifer Jennings, District 8 Promotion and Education Representative
Check out the… tiny speckled gourds that look like pumpkins. These tiny little bundles are most often used for decoration but they hide a sweet surprise. Often called sweet dumpling squash, they make the most unbelievable pies.
To cook the squash, take of the stem and split in two. Scoop out the seeds and set on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the squash is soft then scoop out the meat. You can freeze the meat in 1 ½ cup servings for later or you can move right along and bake a pie.
Sweet Dumpling Pie
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 ¼ t. cinnamon
½ t. ginger
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 t. vanilla
1 9-inch pie crust
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs slightly.
3. Add remaining wet ingredients and mix until fully combined.
4. Stir in spices.
5. Pour filling into pie crust.
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 to 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when poked into the center of the pie.